philadelphia's worst living.
I am a tenant at 420 s 19th street, the cottages off Rittenhouse Square. The landlord provides horrible services. The place is DIRTY, RATS have been seen, also BED BUGS have been spotted in the common areas.. This has all been brought to the attention of the property manager, it goes in one ear and out the other. Numerous things need fixing in my apartment and nothing has been done in in 6 months. The laundry room is filthy dirty, the floor needs cleaning and the walls need painting. The buildings yuck, carpets need to be replaced , it smells and has fleas infested and BED BUGS in it. The walls need a good painting. Also the entry ways need a good cleaning, looks like nobody has mopped the floors in 10 years.
Also they supposedly evicted the ex landlady but she still lives here, she is the biggest slob of all. She doesn't clean up after her dog, she keeps messing with the lock on the security door entrance way of all tenants living in the building. Worst of all she still has keys to the place, she showed them to me. Who is running this dump? She could do a ton of damage prior to moving out. This is bad and there is a drug dealer living on the property, hint, background checks not necessary at 420 south 19th street. The worst thing is the place, the crack house, is located in a prime neighborhood with expensive homes surrounding. LANDLORD, if there is one, do something, the place is a wreck. I think I may call the NEWS teams to come in and film the nasty PROPERTY! Also, many tenants don't have AIR CONDITIONERS, hello it's 95 degrees outside? SLUMLORD, SLUMLORD, SLUMLORD.. ATTENTION ALL POTENTIAL RENTERS DON'T RENT AT THE COTTAGES, OFF RITTENHOUSE SQUARE, AKA, 420 S 19TH STREET, IT IS A DUMP..rats, bed bugs, mosquitos and dog feces, oh wow, just where I want to live!!
Avoid at all cost!!!.
I lived in Lancaster Mews on 36th & Lancaster which is also managed by Ark Properties. I had a few issues from this place from the beginning prior to signing the lease ( I should have seen it as a warning sign). Few issues included:
1. I made an appointment to see the apartment- the leasing manager never showed up for the first appointment. Second time I rescheduled, she was 30 minutes late.
2. Even though I had a bad start, i decided to move into the apt because of its location and the apartment itself was not that bad. However there was a leak in the ceiling in the second bedroom and the bath room vent was never workig. After numerous calls left on the answering machine it was never fixed.
3. In order to enter the apt, you must enter through the first door into the vestibule, which lead you to the second locked door to get to the apartments. The first door never had locks on them. However 6 months into my stay, management DECIDED TO ADD LOCKS TO THE DOOR AND NOT TELL ANYONE about this change nor provided keys! And keep in mind this is a row of apartment complexes therefore at least 6 doors had new locks on them which resulted in many residents being locked out. I called in rage asking why am I locked out. The leasing manager stated it was a safety precaution-- which i completely understand-- but u must inform your renters of the change! I asked how i can get the key and she told me to contact the maintenance man who is on call 24/7-- but be mindful of his time because he has a new born baby. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! What kind of establishment would add new locks and not notify its renters and tell us we have to work around the maintenance man's schedule in order to get into our apartment. UNBELIEVABLE!
4. My roommate and I left that apartment in better shape that we received it. We also always paid our rent on time. However when it came time to get our security deposit bac it took 106 days ! It is PA state law to only require 30 days to have security deposit returned. I contacted the leasing manager multiple times regarding the check. I understand that she isn't responsible for cutting the check, but it is her responsibility to escalate the situation up to corporate. I even asked her to provide a name or number I can contact and do it myself, she told me on a phone conversation, she'd call me back within 30 minutes with the contact information.. it never happened. And of course I couldn't reach her for the following 2 weeks.
Dealing with managmenet has been a disaster. It was a great apartment, but I would not do it again as a result of all the headaches I've dealt with... You have been warned...
avoid ark properties. I would not recommend Ark properties. Slum landlord,the place is falling apart. I have lived at 420 s 19th street, the cottages for 6 mos. nothing gets done. I have had paint chipping inside Apt.from the day I moved in. I also have lousy water pressure and no cold water. The water temp. need to be calibrated so you don't burn yourself. I have put in a maintenance request with no avail. Also, the common areas are filthy dirty, the hallways, stair wells and laundry room need a good cleaning and painting badly. The outdoor area, misquitos, dog feces, which I asked Rasheer to pick up, he put THE DOG FECES in the mulch instead, which stinks. There are bikes everywhere, grills just left to rot a shopping cart and a big old ladder that belongs to maintenance and should be put away! WHY DON'T THEY USE A SMALL VACANT APT. AS A BIKE/GRILL/SHOPPING CART ROOM?.It is sloppy and management just doesn't care. Maintenance is LAZY and management is very nice but nothing ever gets done! The senior maintenance man Tom tries real hard to maintain the place, he just doesn't have help. The other guy Rasheer is useless, I am guessing cheap labor..Anthony the painter stinks there is paint everywhere except the walls. The management team Jai and Joe are very nice but nothing gets done.It is a very dirty sloppy place to live. They also allow a family of 4 to live in a 1 bedroom Apt. is this section 8 living or Rittenhouse? I also heard 3 drug dealers live in the community at the cottages. VERY POORLY RUN, BACKGROUND CHECKS ARE IMPORTANT IN THIS DAY AND AGE! Also, security stinks the door to the 17-19 building as been left open for 2 months and nobody cares to do anything. I would not recommend ARK PROPERTIES to my worse enemy! I WISH WE HAD READ THE REVIEWS PRIOR TO MOVING HERE BUT WE NEEDED TO GET OUT OF OUR FORMER PLACE.
Not recommended. Nice people but incredibly unresponsive. Nothing ever gets done. Would not recommend this company as a landlord.
922 Pine street walk up/Overall Ark Review (good peoples). Lived here for a year now. When I first moved in my fridge was shot. I had a brand new one within hours. Recently lost my central air. THey installed window units within hours, without me having to ask. THey are good people and while the dishwasher might be circa 1974 and the oven and other appliances are old, they work and then some. Very good people, would recommend to anyone.
Has some advantages; great location, pets allowed with fee and parking. Disadvanages
1. no security (I've had numerous things stolen from out front, from my storage area and had a break in and still can't get my security set up after 5 years),
2. very old appliances
3. no maintenance, lip service from the staff without any action on both large and small problems.
I would warn everyone not to rent any Ark Property that's located in Center City. I've heard that the other Ark Properties are worse than ours. We tried to get results with the help of a Tenant Action group to no avail. I was told that they had homeless people sleeping in their basement and a mold problem that had caused severe health problems.
The Rebecca Gratz building. The Gratz at 532 spruce is great! Incredible space, great court yard and the staff is attentive. Storage on site, parking spaces and nice neighborhood. Historic Indepence hall just a few blocks away. Night life close by and the neighborhood really could not be better. I highly recommend ark properties, they have soem great communities and there staff is second to none!
Sign in with Facebook Sign in with Facebook to see what your friends are up to!